Friday, February 5, 2010

Poems for Lazy Afternoons


S H O W O F F

i hear you

piercing the silent

clinking of champagne

glasses

with the laughter of a

thousand waterfalls

for my benefit.

**********************************************************************


WHO I AM

who am I?

I am not a wife.

for if the grave calls

and my love follows

then I shall cease to be.

I am not a mother.

for if the ground breaks open

and swallows both my infants whole

God forbid—

then I shall cease to be.

I am neither poet nor writer

for if the tide of thought, word,

feeling

ebbs,

and the well of inspired speech

dries up

then I shall cease to be.

who I am:

I am but one who follows

Life, Light, Truth.

I am but one who walks

the dusty, well-worn path

left by a good and kind

Teacher.

I am a bamboo reed

bending in the wind.

I am a calf

nursing at her mother’s nipples.

I am a pencil

drawing lines on a page.

I am a cluster of rhododendrons

nourished by the canopy.

I am a badger

finding shelter in the rocks.

who am I?

I am but one who follows

Life, wherever He leads.

*****************************************************************************

WEE HOURS

Listless

Ears ringing

Eyes straining

In the dark

To see

meanings

Clanging noise

Keeps mind alert

Heart quieted by words

From an old manuscript

For life.

A writer Thinks

Feels

Lives

In a self-made

Closet

He wonders

What lies dusty

On bookshelves

In Cupboards

Key chains

Dried leaves

Soiled sheets

Bedsores

Furuncles

Dead ants

Beating hearts

And seeks to find

Letters

syllables

Sounds

to paint

Visions

Images

Of life.